From: Greg Bur <greg.bur@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Die, process! Die!
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 07:38:47
1 On 10/30/06, Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 10/30/06, Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > I know my subject line is a little melodramatic, but this is really
4 > > frustrating. I frequently have processes that killall doesn't kill and
5 > > kill -9 <pid> doesn't touch. For instance, this is taken from top:
6 > >
7 > > 24135 root 16 0 229m 35m 1064 S 0.3 59.7 8:52.11 javadoc
8 >
9 > The only case that kill -9 doesn't work is if the process is locked up
10 > in a kernel call. What is this process doing...accesing network files
11 > per chance?
12 >
13 > > I have Cntrl+C on the emerge (five minutes ago) and I've issued multiple
14 > > killall javadocs and kill -9 24135 and still it runs. Is there a way of
15 > > getting rid of this process short of rebooting the machine?
16 >
17 > If -9 doesn't work, it means your kernel is hungup, and yeah, you'll
18 > have to reboot to fix.
19 >
20 > -Richard
21 > --
22
23 I seem to remember seeing a utility called zkill at packetstorm once
24 that was intended to kill "zombie" processes. I'm not sure if this is
25 what you are encountering but you might want to give it a look. It
26 should be noted that zkill is one of those YMMV use-at-your-own-risk
27 type utilities and I'm not even sure if it will work with recent
28 kernels but it might be worth taking a look at.
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list