From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, gentoo users <gentoo-user@l.g.o>, qa@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-dev] OpenRC stable pushes
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 17:00:19
1 On Friday 07 Dec 2012 16:41:27 William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 09:24:54AM -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > I want to explain about the recent openrc's going directly to stable.
4 > >
5 > > The team had been testing from the previous stable, 0.9.x series all the
6 > > way through 0.10.x. We found out recently that releng needed the new
7 > > openrc stable because of the cds/isos being broken.
8 > >
9 > > There hadn't been bugs reported, so we started attempting to stabilize
10 > > 0.11.5 so that we could have a stable newer OpenRC for releng.
11 > >
12 > > When we started stabling, more regressions came up, so we had to fix
13 > > those. That is why you are seeing several versions go to stable
14 > > directly on some arch's arch's.
15 > >
16 > > wrt 0.11.7, a couple of developers looked over the patches with me and
17 > > we did not see issues. 0.11.8 will be the very last one of these to go
18 > > stable. Please bear with me on this.
19 >
20 > Ok, this is the last update. 0.11.8 fixes the issue in 0.11.7, so you
21 > should not see any more quick pushes to stable. I take full
22 > responsibility for the issue in 0.11.7, and will work with the OpenRC
23 > team and QA to catch issues like this better in the future. Thanks for
24 > your patience.
25 >
26 > William
27
28 Still with 0.11.7 until 0.11.8 reaches the mirrors and noticed a long list of,
29 e.g.:
30
31 rm: cannot remove '/lib/rc/init.d/softscripts/consolefont': Read-only file
32 system
33
34 with the init.d services. These messages show up straight after:
35
36 * /run/lock: creating directory
37 * /run/lock: correcting owner
38
39 I have not noticed anything wrong as a result of these messages with my system
40 on 2 boxen so far, i.e. services have started and are running normally.
41 --
42 Regards,
43 Mick