From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 32bit or 64bit
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 03:06:55
1 On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 7/16/12, Nilesh Govindrajan <contact@××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> So the same old query again I guess.
4 >> What architecture should I use for a machine with 3GB RAM and a 64bit
5 >> processor?
6 >>
7 >> I believe 64bit should be given serious consideration only if RAM is gt or
8 >> = 4 GB, even there 32bit is allowable with PAE if I'm not wrong.
9 >>
10 >> So what is recommended? There are as such no special use cases to go 64bit
11 >> for me.
14 > Why 32? ... Flash, win32 codecs, probably Wine but not sure as it has
15 > been years...
16
17 64-bit WINE worked for me. Even for running 32-bit WoW. (Though I was
18 running a multilib profile. Uncertain if that had an impact.)
21 > Why 64? ... Virtualization...
22 >
23 > Depends on what you want and/or need.
24
25 IMO, it's worth the 'overhead' to run 64-bit, if only for the greater
26 number of GPRs and other architectural improvements. There's honestly
27 a lot of good stuff in x86-64 beyond the larger address space. The
28 increased address space also helps long-lived programs avoid address
29 space fragmentation.
32 :wq