From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: Regular v Ordinary
Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 00:42:45
1 On 04/30/2014 01:47 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > It just annoys me when I'm offered a regular coffee,
3 > when I would have said standard, or medium (size). It's happened particularly
4 > since our high streets were flooded with Starbucks and the like.
5
6 If someone offered me a "regular" coffee I'd ask for a definition of "regular"
7 because I wouldn't have a clue what's being offered.
8
9 My impression is that many Merkin words entered the British argot during WWII,
10 when, indeed, we referred to petrol(gasoline) as "regular" or "leaded", a good
11 example of our misuse of "regular", and one I'd forgot(ten) about.
12
13 You and Neil both mentioned "regular guy", which I remember hearing most recently
14 in a movie about WWII, and not since.
15
16 Our tasteless Merkin TV commercials used the word "regular" for decades to describe
17 our ideal bowel habits, so I share your immediate association with that word. But
18 I doubt anyone less than thirty years old would remember that era. (Please let me
19 know if I'm wrong about that!)