From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: Regular v Ordinary
Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 01:44:59
1 * walt <w41ter@×××××.com> [140430 20:43]:
2 > On 04/30/2014 01:47 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > It just annoys me when I'm offered a regular coffee,
4 > > when I would have said standard, or medium (size). It's happened particularly
5 > > since our high streets were flooded with Starbucks and the like.
6 >
7 > If someone offered me a "regular" coffee I'd ask for a definition of "regular"
8 > because I wouldn't have a clue what's being offered.
9 >
10 > My impression is that many Merkin words entered the British argot during WWII,
11 > when, indeed, we referred to petrol(gasoline) as "regular" or "leaded", a good
12 > example of our misuse of "regular", and one I'd forgot(ten) about.
13 >
14 > You and Neil both mentioned "regular guy", which I remember hearing most recently
15 > in a movie about WWII, and not since.
16 >
17 > Our tasteless Merkin TV commercials used the word "regular" for decades to describe
18 > our ideal bowel habits, so I share your immediate association with that word. But
19 > I doubt anyone less than thirty years old would remember that era. (Please let me
20 > know if I'm wrong about that!)
21
22 You might want to check the definition for "merkin"...