From: Ngoc Nguyen Bao <baongoc124@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot speedup
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 17:30:22
1 On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 12:03 AM, Florian Philipp
2 <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:
3 > Am 13.04.2010 00:00, schrieb Alex Schuster:
4 >> Florian Philipp writes:
5 >>
6 >>> Am 12.04.2010 11:02, schrieb Hinko Kocevar:
7 >>
8 >>>> Can boot be sped up even more?
9 >>>
10 >>> The fastest way to boot is not to boot at all. Just use Suspend2Disk or
11 >>> SuspendToRam.
12 >>>
13 >>> Take a look at TuxOnIce and hibernate-script. Unless something is
14 >>> broken, I hardly ever reboot.
15 >>
16 >> I wonder why this seems to be working for everyone but me... I tried
17 >> TuxOnIce for various times, with different systems, for years now, and
18 >> still no real success. Well, it works sometimes on my desktop PC, but I
19 >> have to issue the hibernate command up to ten times for this, and
20 >> sometimes it still does not hibernate. And I also experience that trying
21 >> to hibernate sometimes freezes the system, or has weird side effects.
22 >>
23 >> But luckily, at least hibernate-ram suddenly seems to work well, and I'm
24 >> sticking to that now.
25 >>
26 >>       Wonko
29 > Actually, at the moment, suspend2disk doesn't work for me either. But
30 > since suspend2ram works flawlessly (as did suspend2disk for some years),
31 > I couldn't be bothered to find out, why.
32 >
33 > In earlier years, the situation was vice versa for me. I suspect it's a
34 > driver issue. My hibernate script stops wifi and unloads the iwl3945
35 > kernel module. That solved all issues in the past.
39 Sorry for asking a simple question but do you have a "resume=foo" in
40 your kernel parameter in your boot loader?
43 Nguyễn Bảo Ngọc
44 http://www.facebook.com/pymaster