From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot speedup
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 17:03:47
1 Am 13.04.2010 00:00, schrieb Alex Schuster:
2 > Florian Philipp writes:
3 >
4 >> Am 12.04.2010 11:02, schrieb Hinko Kocevar:
5 >
6 >>> Can boot be sped up even more?
7 >>
8 >> The fastest way to boot is not to boot at all. Just use Suspend2Disk or
9 >> SuspendToRam.
10 >>
11 >> Take a look at TuxOnIce and hibernate-script. Unless something is
12 >> broken, I hardly ever reboot.
13 >
14 > I wonder why this seems to be working for everyone but me... I tried
15 > TuxOnIce for various times, with different systems, for years now, and
16 > still no real success. Well, it works sometimes on my desktop PC, but I
17 > have to issue the hibernate command up to ten times for this, and
18 > sometimes it still does not hibernate. And I also experience that trying
19 > to hibernate sometimes freezes the system, or has weird side effects.
20 >
21 > But luckily, at least hibernate-ram suddenly seems to work well, and I'm
22 > sticking to that now.
23 >
24 > Wonko
27 Actually, at the moment, suspend2disk doesn't work for me either. But
28 since suspend2ram works flawlessly (as did suspend2disk for some years),
29 I couldn't be bothered to find out, why.
30
31 In earlier years, the situation was vice versa for me. I suspect it's a
32 driver issue. My hibernate script stops wifi and unloads the iwl3945
33 kernel module. That solved all issues in the past.