From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VIDEO_CARDS setting for 3D Rage Pro
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 17:53:44
1 On 7/15/05, Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > Converting my last FC machine to Gentoo since it didn't survive an FC2
4 > > to FC4 upgrade.
5 > >
6 > > Questions:
7 > >
8 > > 1) Is the VIDEO_CARDS= setting in /etc/make.conf still considered the
9 > > right way to configure a new machine for a specific card?
10 > >
11 > > 2) If the answer to #1 is yes then what's the right setting for a 3D
12 > > Rage Pro? (I.e. - where's the list of legal names?)
13 > >
14 > > 3) If no, then what's the right way to do this these days?
15 > >
16 > > Thanks,
17 > > Mark
20 > It looks like the gentoo ati faq might be helpful:
21 >
22 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ati-faq.xml
23 >
24 > It mentions an x11-drm package that can be used to build kernel DRI modules. Inside the ebuild there is a list:
25 >
26 > IUSE_VIDEO_CARDS="3dfx ffb i810 i830 i915 mach64 matrox rage128 radeon savage sis via"
27 >
28 > I'm not sure if any of those will work for you but I'm sure one of the ati gurus will be along in a moment to help you.
29 >
30 > Zac
31 > --
32 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
35 Thanks Zac. On this machine I don't care right now about 3D
36 performance. Everything in my audio recording is pretty much 2D (VU
37 meters and the like) so possibly it won't make much difference at all.
38 I guess I'll choose rage128 and see what happens. Since DRM is modular
39 I guess I don't have to load it if it causes trouble.
40
41 Thanks for reading the ebuild for me.
42
43 cheers,
44 Mark
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list