From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /var/db gone: possible opportunity to switch profile
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 20:30:54
1 On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>wrote:
6 >
7 >> Hi,
8 >>
9 >> On Saturday, 10. September 2011 16:41:39 Francisco Ares wrote:
10 >> > Hi All,
11 >> >
12 >> > I have managed to delete /var/db. I know this was a very stupid thing to
13 >> be
14 >> > done, but now it is done and /var/db is gone for good.
15 >>
16 >> *bummer*
19 > tell me...
22 >> > Well, that is a good opportunity to have everything built again, time to
23 >> try
24 >> > new CFLAGS, and so on.
25 >> >
26 >> > But there is a circular dependency that I do not know how to get rid of:
27 >> > "glibc" and "gcc" depend on each other. They are both here, but portage
28 >> does
29 >> > not know that.
30 >> > How am I supposed to go on?
31 >>
32 >> emerging the one or the other with --nodeps could solve this.
33 >>
34 >> > By the way, I have a Pentium Core 2 Quad and I am using a "x86" profile.
35 >> How
36 >> > would I switch to a "amd64" ? As far as I know, my processor is capable
37 >> of
38 >> > this.
39 >>
40 >> Afaik it's not possible to "upgrade" a running 32bit system to a 64bit
41 >> one.
44 > I was already considering a fresh install. Now it seems more tempting.
48 >> > Thanks
49 >> > Francisco
50 >>
51 >> Hth,
52 >> Michael
56 > Thanks!!
59 Well, --nodeps did no work, as portage claims that it is incompatible with
60 --emptytree , that it is forcing as there is no more /var/db
61
62 I have also tried to include my gcc in /etc/package-provided , but still it
63 did not work
64
65 Thanks
66 Francisco