From: Johannes Skov Frandsen <joe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems starting X
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 12:39:25
1 Hi everybody
2
3 Well the xorg server downgrade did not help either, so I abandon the
4 cloesed source drivers from Ati
5 and went on to try to install my S3 onboard savage graphic processor.
6
7 This work almost instantly without any problems except for the fact that
8 I experienced a lot
9 of areas on the screen that was updated out of sync with the rest of the
10 screen.
11
12 Deciding that I could not work with that I tried the open source drivers
13 for the ati card.
14
15 I followed this guide:
16 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_DRI_with_ATi_Open-Source_Drivers
17
18 and added these lines to my make.conf:
19
20 INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
21 VIDEO_CARDS="savage radeon"
22
23 reinstalled my x-server and tried to start x.
24
25 This failed.
26
27 I then spent one hour or so tweaking xorg.conf and about 10 minutes ago
28 I finally found a combination that seems to work.
31 I still can't get max resolution for my monitor (1920*1200) but everything
32 else seems to work to a degree that I can live with for now.
33
34 Thanks for all the pointers and advices. It's very nice to have a community
35 to help when you stumble along with your Linux installation.
36
37 Joe
38
39 Francisco Rivas wrote:
40 > Johannes,
41 >
42 > It is a good idea try with other version of the xorg. please post
43 > something about your experience.
46 > Currently I'm supporting the theory that Young Sun is right, and that
47 > the problem is the version of Xorg.
48 >
49 > Tomorrow I will try to uninstall the compiled drivers from ati and
50 > try
51 > the open source drivers. If that doesn't work
52 > I'm feeling inclined to buy a new nvidia card instead.
53 >
54 > Maybe I could also try to make the onboard S3 savage card work,
55 > although I have never been a big fan of
56 > graphic cards with shared memory.
57 >
58 > Thanks again for all the help....
59 >