From: Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@×××××××.net>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's future directtion ?
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 17:34:00
1 On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 04:31:45PM +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2
3 > am I the only one who thinks that this way leads to madness?
4 >
5 > Version conflicts are bad enough.
6
7 First, version conflicts have their roots in the support for versions of
8 libraries in softwares. This is the best place to fix that when
9 possible.
10
11 When it comes to ebuilds maintainers, version conflicts are about all
12 about DECLARATIONS. If software A need Y-v1..12, we should have a way
13 for the maintainers to declare that A relies on Y-v1..12 and let the
14 dependency softwares to the hard job and admin/users handle them the way
15 they want.
16 Today, this is badly managed with implicit expectations everywhere.
17
18 Also, there are ways to overcome version conflicts. Slots are one of
19 them.
20
21 > No multiply that with a bunch of
22 > overlays, all having their own libXY with just some tiny, tiny
23 > differences, and another bunch of overlays who want libXY from certain
24 > others....
25
26 That's a reason why I said that overlays are a poor kind of pointers.
27
28 For overlay maintainers today, if the main portage tree does not offer
29 what they expect, the only option they have is to rewrite their own
30 "static" dependency tree with their own ebuilds. That sucks.
31
32 Portage should support a way to expose ALL the conditions for a software
33 to work and update installed libraries to match the requirements.
36 Nicolas Sebrecht