From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's future directtion ?
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 18:25:41
1 Am 23.11.2014 um 18:33 schrieb Nicolas Sebrecht:
2 > On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 04:31:45PM +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >
4 >> am I the only one who thinks that this way leads to madness?
5 >>
6 >> Version conflicts are bad enough.
7 > First, version conflicts have their roots in the support for versions of
8 > libraries in softwares. This is the best place to fix that when
9 > possible.
10 >
11 > When it comes to ebuilds maintainers, version conflicts are about all
12 > about DECLARATIONS. If software A need Y-v1..12, we should have a way
13 > for the maintainers to declare that A relies on Y-v1..12 and let the
14 > dependency softwares to the hard job and admin/users handle them the way
15 > they want.
16 > Today, this is badly managed with implicit expectations everywhere.
17 >
18 > Also, there are ways to overcome version conflicts. Slots are one of
19 > them.
20 >
21 >> No multiply that with a bunch of
22 >> overlays, all having their own libXY with just some tiny, tiny
23 >> differences, and another bunch of overlays who want libXY from certain
24 >> others....
25 > That's a reason why I said that overlays are a poor kind of pointers.
26 >
27 > For overlay maintainers today, if the main portage tree does not offer
28 > what they expect, the only option they have is to rewrite their own
29 > "static" dependency tree with their own ebuilds. That sucks.
30 >
31 > Portage should support a way to expose ALL the conditions for a software
32 > to work and update installed libraries to match the requirements.
35 and you want portage to finish on this site of eternity when looking for
36 dependency resolution?