From: Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] State of emergency is now in effect.
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 16:55:34
1 On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 at 17:21, Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > > No, it is not a build dependency, but it is a part of the @system set,
3 > > so it will always be included in any @system or @world updates you do.
4 > > I would not bother updating it especially.
5 >
6 > Ok. But what if I just do, say
7 >
8 > emerge --ask --changed-deps --changed-use --deep --newuse \
9 > --update --with-bdeps=y firefox
10 >
11 > after syncing? Is this, too, guaranteed to always work, even if portage
12 > itself is requiring an essential update?
13
14 Unless you're years behind on your portage updates, there should be no
15 chance of getting any problems with this that could be fixed by
16 upgrading portage. As long as you do world updates now and then, I
17 don't think you'd ever have any problems. I stopped updating portage
18 on its own many years ago, it's been fine.
19
20 Regards,
21 Arve