From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] State of emergency is now in effect.
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 17:07:35
1 On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 17:55:21 +0100, Arve Barsnes wrote:
2
3 > > Ok. But what if I just do, say
4 > >
5 > > emerge --ask --changed-deps --changed-use --deep --newuse \
6 > > --update --with-bdeps=y firefox
7 > >
8 > > after syncing? Is this, too, guaranteed to always work, even if
9 > > portage itself is requiring an essential update?
10 >
11 > Unless you're years behind on your portage updates, there should be no
12 > chance of getting any problems with this that could be fixed by
13 > upgrading portage.
14
15 Unless you have a new Firefox ebuild released using a new EAPI version
16 that is only in a later version of portage - an unlikely, but not
17 impossible, scenario.
18
19 > As long as you do world updates now and then, I
20 > don't think you'd ever have any problems. I stopped updating portage
21 > on its own many years ago, it's been fine.
22
23 Same here. Most problems with portage are caused by people trying to fix
24 supposed problems with portage :(
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 I'm moving to theory. Everything works there!