From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Mail system recommendations
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 00:37:22
1 "Michael Crute" <mcrute@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On 11/8/06, Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> I have a small network, consisting of three PCs. Each of these PCs has
5 >> a public WAN address, and each runs Apache, vsftpd and sendmail (as well
6 >> as ipkungfu for firewall protection). One of them runs mailman. I
7 >> would like to replace sendmail with something not so...shall we say
8 >> prehistoric? I've been advised many times to do so on this list and
9 >> others. Would anyone please give me some recommendations for a new
10 >> choice of mail server? I'd like one with plenty if documentation.
11 >
12 > For my money I would say run postfix.
13
14 Your setups sound pretty similar to mine and I'll tell you that I've
15 several times attempted to switch ... I tried exim, postfix and
16 something else I've since forgotten.
17
18 Each time I returned to sendmail and have decided each time that
19 sendmail actually has the best and most complete documentation.
20
21 It can be aggravating from time to time. My biggest trouble is
22 forgetting all I ever learned each time I need it again.
23
24 I'd stick with sendmail if I were you. Its usually something kind of
25 minor once you find the problem.
26
27 Sendmail is by far the most versatile of them all.
28
29 Spend some time learning the various tests one can run with sendmail
30 and you may be able to fix things yourself more often.
31
32 I'd also suggest posting whatever problem is bothering you on
33 comp.mail.sendmail newsgroup.
34
35 There is lots of expert help available there and a thorough search of
36 its archives can sometimes do the job without posting.
39 Just my .02.
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list