From: Chris Walters <cjw2004d@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HIJACKING THREADS
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 02:32:34
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 PaulNM wrote:
5 | Chris Walters wrote:
6 |
7 |>
8 |> Everyone makes mistakes, and it is can be good to point them out,
9 |> though I do
10 |> think this thread is a bit of overkill - a private message to the
11 |> person who
12 |> made the mistake is usually enough.
13 |>
14 | I agree the thread is overkill, the first message was not.
15 | Stroller's message was polite and included links to educate people. I
16 | don't think a private message is the way to go in these cases because:
17 |
18 | 1: Most people learn about proper threading from these kind of messages.
19 | Few ever see full headers or have even heard of "In-Reply-To:".
20 |
21 | 2: Private-only messages can actually make the situation worse, as
22 | anyone looking over archives sees repeated instances of a "bad habit"
23 | from different people, but no feedback that it's frowned upon.
24
25 Actually, I agree with you - the messages about breaches of the list etiquette
26 should be posted to the list. I don't know what I was thinking when I composed
27 that reply... I had actually been thinking that a mailing list FAQ sent to new
28 members and posted every so often, outlining the etiquette of the list would be
29 a good idea. I do somewhat object to the idea that only certain mail clients
30 should be used on this list (not saying you did, but I have seen it), as the
31 hijacking of threads may be accomplished with *any* email client - and so can
32 private email, reply to list, and compose new message.
33
34 |> Just my $0.020000000000001
35 |
36 | ^
37 | / \
38 | |
39 | Pentium fdiv bug? |
40
41 LOL! You caught me. Someone from another list shared something with me, and
42 in the spirit of GNU, I will share it here, and add to it...
43
44 We are Pentium of Borg. You will be approximated. Resistance may or may not
45 be futile, except on every other Tuesday when it is a definite maybe.
46
47 [snip]
48 |
49 | PaulNM
50
51 Since this is normally where my reply would go, I think I must say something.
52 What happens when a thread about how bad hijacking threads is gets hijacked...
53
54 Regards,
55 Chris
72 --