From: PaulNM <gentoo@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HIJACKING THREADS
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 08:44:13
1 Chris Walters wrote:
4 > Everyone makes mistakes, and it is can be good to point them out, though
5 > I do
6 > think this thread is a bit of overkill - a private message to the person
7 > who
8 > made the mistake is usually enough.
9 >
10 I agree the thread is overkill, the first message was not.
11 Stroller's message was polite and included links to educate people. I
12 don't think a private message is the way to go in these cases because:
13
14 1: Most people learn about proper threading from these kind of messages.
15 Few ever see full headers or have even heard of "In-Reply-To:".
16
17 2: Private-only messages can actually make the situation worse, as
18 anyone looking over archives sees repeated instances of a "bad habit"
19 from different people, but no feedback that it's frowned upon.
20
21 > Just my $0.020000000000001
22
23 ^