From: Chris Walters <cjw2004d@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HIJACKING THREADS
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 01:41:21
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 Hal Martin wrote:
5 | Alan McKinnon wrote:
6 |> On Wednesday 11 June 2008, Hal Martin wrote:
7 [snip]
8 |> No, he did not start a new thread. Other wise why does his mail have
9 |> this header;
10 |>
11 |> In-Reply-To:
12 |> <49bf44f10806101229y255520fbna1a6cfd59ae56008@××××××××××.com>
13 [snip]
14 | Quite right, my mistake for looking into it further.
15 |>
16 [snip]
17 |> That's not how you determine if a thread has been hijacked. The Re: is
18 |> simply a subject line and can be edited. Deleting all content from a
20 |> extended headers to do it, specifically In-Reply-To and References
21 |>
22 |>
23 | Using Thunderbird it appeared to be a new thread, the same applies to
24 | the GMail web interface. However, on closer inspection of the message
25 | header, it does appear to be a case of thread hijacking. My mistake, and
26 | I would retract my previous comments regarding the matter. I instead
27 | wish to resubmit my response on thread hijacking:
28 |
29 | Thread Hijacking is bad, don't do it.
30 |
31 | -Hal
32
33 Just a small point here. Mozilla Thunderbird has a threaded view option that
34 allows you to view entire threads, without regard to the subject line, so it is
35 thread aware - you just have to set the right options. Viewing it that way, it
36 is clear to see that the message in question, was a case of thread hijacking.
37 Is it the crime of the century? No. Is it something people want to see on a
38 mailing list like this? No.
39
40 Everyone makes mistakes, and it is can be good to point them out, though I do
41 think this thread is a bit of overkill - a private message to the person who
42 made the mistake is usually enough.
43
44 Just my $0.020000000000001
45