From: Hal Martin <hal.martin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HIJACKING THREADS
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 18:39:52
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 11 June 2008, Hal Martin wrote:
3 >
4 > [snip]
7 >> I'm sorry, but I fail to see why the above example mentioned
8 >> qualifies as Thread Hijacking. He started a new thread to pose his
9 >> question, and, if anything, was only being indirect in asking it.
12 > No, he did not start a new thread. Other wise why does his mail have
13 > this header;
14 >
15 > In-Reply-To:
16 > <49bf44f10806101229y255520fbna1a6cfd59ae56008@××××××××××.com>
17 >
18 > [snip]
19 >
20 Quite right, my mistake for looking into it further.
21 >
22 >> He *did* compose a new message, there is no Re: in the header and no
23 >> other content in the message.
26 > That's not how you determine if a thread has been hijacked. The Re: is
27 > simply a subject line and can be edited. Deleting all content from a
29 > headers to do it, specifically In-Reply-To and References
32 Using Thunderbird it appeared to be a new thread, the same applies to
33 the GMail web interface. However, on closer inspection of the message
34 header, it does appear to be a case of thread hijacking. My mistake, and
35 I would retract my previous comments regarding the matter. I instead
36 wish to resubmit my response on thread hijacking:
37
38 Thread Hijacking is bad, don't do it.
39
40 -Hal
43 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list