From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What happened to OpenRC 0.9.6?
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 22:24:33
1 Am 12.12.2011 09:43, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2 > On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 07:29:16 +0700
3 > Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
4 >
5 >>>> It's worked for me ever since I switched all of my machines to
6 >>>> OpenRC a year+(?) ago.
7 >>>
8 >>> You are not a representative sample.
9 >>>
10 >>
11 >> worksforme
12 >>
13 >> In production servers, even. Virtualized on top of XenServer. All of
14 >> them last updated last week.
17 > Same here. All my server VMs work just fine with parallel enabled.
18 > There's nothing complex in them, they tend to be single-service
19 > machines.
22 Don't tell me you reboot your servers so often that it is necessary to
23 tune the boot process for every last second. And please tell me you make
24 the time slots for scheduled reboots large enough for trouble shooting,
25 thereby not requiring every last second, either.
26
27 > I don't have a current desktop Gentoo system, those necessarily have
28 > more complex start-up routines. Perhaps that's where most of the
29 > problems are to found?
32 Guess so. Besides, there is a new init script format in the pipe, for
33 example mentioned here: [1] It will also make use of cgroups [2]. IMHO
34 loosing a few seconds of boot time is an acceptable price for better CPU
35 and IO scheduling.
36
37 If these "new style" scripts are written declarative, that means less
38 shell scripting and probably better performance even under sequential
39 execution. And as I've learned often and hard: You don't parallelize
40 until you have properly optimized your sequential execution, not the
41 other way around.
42
43 WTF do you need fast boot processes, anyway?! If you care about this,
44 you hibernate or suspend. Daily shutdown/bootup sounds like something
45 you'd do on a diskless client, a pre-ACPI system or some flakey
46 hardware. I hardly see a boot screen once per month. My laptop currently
47 has an uptime of 15 days, my workstation three months. You probably
48 waste more time repopulating your page cache after starting your desktop
49 environment than you do with init scripts.
50
51 [1] http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2011/10/22/updating-init-scripts
52 [2] http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2011/11/28/the-infamous-run-migration
53