From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysqld invoked oom-killer
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 20:51:26
1 On Thursday 21 July 2011 10:27:58 Grant did opine thusly:
2 > >> Thanks Paul. I'm leaning toward leaving swap disabled. So
3 > >> I'm sure I have the concept right, is adding a 1GB swap
4 > >> partition functionally identical to adding 1GB RAM with
5 > >> regard to the potential for out-of-memory conditions?
6 > >
7 > > Yep.
8 >
9 > It sounds like adding physical RAM is better than enabling swap in
10 > every way. I'll stay in the anti-swap camp.
11
12 To throw a spanner in my own works:
13
14 Some kernels *really* want at least some swap, even if it's just a
15 little bit. IIRC it fits the role of a bit of wiggle room for when RAM
16 is full.
17
18 It came up the last time we all discussed this topic, but I no longer
19 have those mails.
20
21 If you can determine the appropriate amount, I'd recommend a small
22 swap *file* if you decide to go this route.
26 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com