From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: virtual/pam masked but required by all non-hardened profiles?
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 16:55:29
1 On Monday, 14 October 2019 16:56:48 BST Marc Joliet wrote:
2 > Am Montag, 14. Oktober 2019, 17:33:41 CEST schrieb Hartmut Figge:
3 > > Grant Edwards:
4 > > >This morning emerge is complaining that virtual/pam-0-r1 is masked and
5 > > >scheduled for removal in 14 days. But virtual/pam is required by
6 > > >sys-apps/shadow which is part of the base profiles.
7 > >
8 > > I was just bitten by that.
9 > >
10 > > >What am I missing?
11 > >
12 > > Time for waiting?
13 > >
14 > > Hartmut, gets coat
15 >
16 > Yeah, time for waiting.
17 >
18 > I happen to know a bit of what's going on (I skim the Gentoo git log daily
19 > and read gentoo-dev), so here's a recap (from memory, so I might get a
20 > detail or two wrong): The virtual was there for the Gentoo BSD
21 > profile(s?), which had their own PAM implementation, and which were
22 > recently removed (they were horribly outdated and apparently nobody is
23 > working on the Gentoo/BSD project anymore). Because of that, sys-libs/pam
24 > is now the only provider of the virtual and is replacing it in *DEPENDS.
25 > That makes the virtual redundant, so the last step is to remove it.
26 > Apparently not everything has been moved over yet, or maybe some
27 > stabilizations are still not finished, in any case I wouldn't worry about
28 > it, it might be resolved by the next sync.
29 >
30 > HTH
31 > --
32 > Marc Joliet
33 > --
34 > "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
35 > don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup
36
37 I was bitten by this last night: I resync'ed, ran 'emerge -uaNDv --
38 withbdeps=y @world' and made a note of all packages which portage wanted to
39 rebuild, but at the same time was asking me to unmask virtual/pam. Then
40 emerged them with --oneshot and portage stopped asking me to unmask virtual/
41 pam thereafter.
42
43 I suppose --changed-deps would also work, but I didn't try it.
44 --
45 Regards,
46
47 Mick