From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: virtual/pam masked but required by all non-hardened profiles?
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 16:02:27
1 Am Montag, 14. Oktober 2019, 17:33:41 CEST schrieb Hartmut Figge:
2 > Grant Edwards:
3 > >This morning emerge is complaining that virtual/pam-0-r1 is masked and
4 > >scheduled for removal in 14 days. But virtual/pam is required by
5 > >sys-apps/shadow which is part of the base profiles.
6 >
7 > I was just bitten by that.
8 >
9 > >What am I missing?
10 >
11 > Time for waiting?
12 >
13 > Hartmut, gets coat
14
15 Yeah, time for waiting.
16
17 I happen to know a bit of what's going on (I skim the Gentoo git log daily and
18 read gentoo-dev), so here's a recap (from memory, so I might get a detail or
19 two wrong): The virtual was there for the Gentoo BSD profile(s?), which had
20 their own PAM implementation, and which were recently removed (they were
21 horribly outdated and apparently nobody is working on the Gentoo/BSD project
22 anymore). Because of that, sys-libs/pam is now the only provider of the
23 virtual and is replacing it in *DEPENDS. That makes the virtual redundant, so
24 the last step is to remove it. Apparently not everything has been moved over
25 yet, or maybe some stabilizations are still not finished, in any case I
26 wouldn't worry about it, it might be resolved by the next sync.
27
28 HTH
29 --
30 Marc Joliet
31 --
32 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
33 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup