From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xorg problems: Intel 945GM (Gigabyte Motherboard onboard video)
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 00:38:40
1 On Sonntag 06 September 2009, Alan E. Davis wrote:
2 > I got caught, apparently like many others, installing Gentoo to another PC.
3 > I've been running Ubuntu (probably Intrepid Ibex, two versions ago), so I
4 > know this video adapter is supported. But various issues have ambushed me
5 > in trying to get this working.
6 >
7 > 1. On first install, the keyboard didn't work. I followed the
8 > instructions to the letter, the mouse even worked, but the keyboard
9 > didn't. I killed off the windows one by one with the mouse, and the
10 > machine was then stalled in that state.
11 >
12 > 2. I remembered a keyboard issue from my home machine, involving a new
13 > version of xorg, so I (unwisely perhaps) added the ~amd64 keyword to
14 > make.conf. Thereupon followed a series of issues, involving one hypothesis
15 > after another. I never saw a screen with the "X" cursor again.
16 >
17 > 3. There is an issue surrounding HAL. I added a hal keyword, recompiled,
18 > tweaked the kernel: no good. I got a black screen. Keyboard wasn't
19 > working, so I followed a few more hunches. I was unable to read the docs
20 > in a nice screen, as I was using links.
21 >
22 > 4. Eventually I decided to put the hal keyword back in, and recompiled. In
23 > the interim I had removed the ~amd keyword from make.conf, and I ran emerge
24 > -uDav --newuse world. Thinking better of it, a few merges into that, I
25 > replaced the ~amd64 keyword, and started the same process. I found along
26 > the way that I needed to serially recompile the kernel, re-merge
27 > xf86-input-*, etc., again. I then decided to enable evdev, even though I
28 > was intimidated by that from my earlier issue with an nvidia card.
29 >
30 > 5. I finally read some forum topics and mailing list threads. Apparently
31 > this is not uncommon at ALL. A gentoo wiki article about the Intel cards
32 > was referred to, but is unavailable. Interestingly, even the google cache
33 > is clear of these missing gentoo wiki articles!
34 >
35 > I've finally left the machine overnight to run it's course of
36 > re-installation etc. If that doesn't work, I have already copied over the
37 > grub.conf entry for the ubuntu install on the same disk, so that's an
38 > option.
39 >
40 > I guess my question is what is the correct way to go about installing
41 > gentoo on a machine with these on board Intel adapters?
42 >
43 > [I can reinstall the whole system once I figure out what's going on. I
44 > must have this machine working within 24 hours, though, hence Ubuntu looms
45 > on the horizon.]
48 > Alan Davis
49 >
50 > You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but
51 > when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the
52 > bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing---that's what
53 > counts.
54 >
55 > ----Richard Feynman
59 the same as always, You emerge your base system. Then kernel. Then X. X
60 drivers. Graphics, Mouse, Keyboard. You can either use evdev or kbd for
61 keyboard. I prefer the later one. Hal or not doesn't make much of a difference.
62
63 The important thing is: after an X update you must reinstall the input
64 drivers!