From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 15:45:01
1 On Sun, Dec 11, 2022 at 8:01 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 > I think I'm going to switch. I need to start over anyway. I set up a
4 user account and a large pool but while I can mount it, I can't put
5 anything in it yet. I get a permission error. I likely missed a step or
6 something. Starting over will help correct that. lol
7 >
8 > By the way, when I got it installed, it did update to a newer version. I
9 didn't look to see if it was dated in any way but updates seem to be
10 available for FreeNAS. I dunno.
11 >
12 > Thanks for the info.
13 >
14 > Dale
15 >
16 > :-) :-)
17
18 At this point I think you're wise to just plug around in it for a little
19 while. Learn it a little bit. Build a few pools and get used to how it
20 works. It's a bit different than Linux.
21
22 In my case everything is NFS mounts and NFS exports work differently on
23 BSD. Assume you have a pool:
24
25 /mnt/MyPool/mark/Backups
26
27 and under that you want to have 3 directories exported to different
28 machines for backups, so
29
30 /mnt/MyPool/mark/Backups/science
31 /mnt/MyPool/mark/Backups/sciene2
32 /mnt/MyPool/mark/Backups/StellarMate
33
34 where each user machine has a place to put things, and hence you can find
35 it, but no LVM, it's just a big pool of storage. Note there are all the
36 standard problems about permissions when you first set these directories
37 up, like making sure you own them, that they are writable, etc.
38
39 In Linux NFS I would likely export all three separately, while in TrueNAS
40 BSD I export
41
42 /mnt/MyPool/mark --alldirs
43
44 If you cared about science mucking with science2's backups there are ways
45 to stop that, but I don't care because each machine on my network has a
46 bash scripts that points it where I want it to go:
47
48 mark@science2:~$ cat ./bin/DoTrueNAS
49 #rsync -avx -n --port=873
50 --exclude={000_NOT_BACKED_UP,RIPS,.cache,.nv,'google-chrome*',DiskImages,Current}
51 /home/mark mark@truenas1:/mnt/MyPool/mark/Backups/science2/.
52
53 rsync -avx --port=873
54 --exclude={000_NOT_BACKED_UP,RIPS,.cache,.nv,'google-chrome*',DiskImages,Current}
55 /home/mark mark@truenas1:/mnt/MyPool/mark/Backups/science2/.
56 mark@science2:~$
57
58 where the first one is a test config and the second is a real transfer.
59 Because it's rsync if something doesn't finish then I can pick up again
60 with little time lost.
61
62 Also, I think there are ways for you to build complex pools like a RAID0
63 from your 6TB and 8TB drives, and then a RAID1 using the RAID0 and your
64 14TB drive but I've never tried it because mine don't have enough drive
65 slots for that.
66
67 Also, turn on compression. It saves me between 15-20% so 14TB becomes 16TB
68 storage. YMMV. Video files don't compress, at least not much. Data files
69 generally do.
70
71 Hope this helps. I think you'll find TrueNAS fun actually but there is a
72 learning curve. I've used it for about a year and barely scratched the
73 surface.
74
75 Good luck,
76 Mark