From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 15:01:37
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > On Sat, Dec 10, 2022 at 9:35 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
5 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > Mark Knecht wrote:
8 > > > <SNIP>
9 > > > >
10 > > > > I got a old rig I can use.  I actually burned OpenNAS, TrueNAS or
11 > > > FreeNAS on a USB stick.  I can't recall which one I put on it tho.  I
12 > > > downloaded all three.  lol  If you know that one is better than the
13 > > > others, feel free to share.  Also, I'd like to keep using LVM if I
14 > > > can.  If nothing else, I already got the data on the drives and won't
15 > > > have to reformat and copy again.  It took almost 100 hours to copy to
16 > > > the new 16TB drive.  Using LVM would make that easier, and faster.
17 > > > >
18 > > > > I'll have to work with what I got for now but I really like the
19 > > > Raspberry option for its size and good options to upgrade later.  I'll
20 > > > just make do with something else until that option is doable.  Maybe
21 > > > it won't be to long.
22 > > > >
23 > > > > Dale
24 > > > >
25 > > > > :-)  :-)
26 > > >
27 > > > TrueNAS Core. It's the free one. Works great. Very stable, but it is
28 > > > BSD, not Linux so you'll be frustrated sometimes. None the less it
29 > > > works very well.
32 > > Well, I booted it and it is FreeNAS.  I got it on a USB stick tho.
33 > > Well, I put the installer on one stick and then installed on a second
34 > > stick.  Kinda odd but I get it.  I also noticed it is BSD based.  I
35 > > played with BSD once before.  One thing I can say, it's secure.  Big
36 > time.
39 > I'm not clear exactly but FreeNAS _BECAME_ TrueNAS Core and TrueNAS
40 > (all 3 versions) are the ones being worked on.
41 >
42 > Installing from USB is pretty standard. Installing to a USB flash drive
43 > is not unheard of in home NAS servers but be careful of machine
44 > placement because people talk about USB sockets being unreliable
45 > long term. I'm sure you'll figure it out, but make sure you're using
46 > TrueNAS Core.
47 >
48 > > I see it uses ZFS or something.  No mention of LVM.  I figured that.  Oh
49 > > well.
50 >
51 > I see LVM as something that belongs on your machine, not your NAS
52 > device. Your LVM volumes will just be directories on the NAS. You will
53 > make your pools as large as you can afford and the NAS will just store
54 > your data. You don't really need to worry about that much. My NAS
55 > stores backups from 3 different machine, but all the backup data
56 > is in a single ZFS RAID1 pool located in directories which macth the
57 > name of the machine that wrote them.
60 > > If I can't hammer FreeNAS into shape, I'll try TrueNAS next.  If it
61 > > works, that's fine too.  ;-)
62 >
63 > My input for the third time. Move to TrueNAS Core. That's the one
64 > that is being developed and getting support.
65 >
66 > Mark
69 I think I'm going to switch.  I need to start over anyway.  I set up a
70 user account and a large pool but while I can mount it, I can't put
71 anything in it yet.  I get a permission error.  I likely missed a step
72 or something.  Starting over will help correct that.  lol
73
74 By the way, when I got it installed, it did update to a newer version.
75 I didn't look to see if it was dated in any way but updates seem to be
76 available for FreeNAS.  I dunno.
77
78 Thanks for the info.
79