From: "Sebastian Günther" <samson@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] df and du difference
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 06:52:39
1 * platoali@×××××.com (platoali@×××××.com) [16.08.08 07:51]:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I've a strange problem with my root partion:
5 >
6 > the difference between du and df is about 640 - 188 = 452 MB. and "df" is
7 > showing that my root is full 2.4 times more than "du".
8 >
9 > which one is the correct one? I've another server that this difference is
10 > about 7 GiG and on that server root is 80% full. The type of partition is
11 > ext3.
14 df shows you the available space on the fs and du the size of the files
15 inside it.
16
17 The difference is caused by the journal and the 5% reserved for the
18 superuser, which du does not take in account
19
20 > Do others have this kind of inconsistancy on their systems?
21 >
22 I would think everyone, who does not have changed the default settings
23 from mkfs.ext3.
24
25 > Best regards
26 > Platoali
29 HTH
30 Sebastian
33 " Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx
34
35 SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@××××××××××××××××.de