From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 12:56:02
1 On Saturday 09 April 2011 06:43:25 Dale wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > Apparently, though unproven, at 12:48 on Saturday 09 April 2011, Dale
4 > > did
5 > > opine thusly:
6 > > Yes.
7 > >
8 > > PVs, VGs, LVs all have a concept of extend|resize|reduce. What that
9 > > means
10 > > depends on what you are working with, but they all make the thing bigger
11 > > or smaller.
12 > >
13 > > For a PV it means the underlying device's size changed, so the PV must
14 > > change to match. Take a 500G drive, create 1 partition on it of 100G
15 > > and make it a PV. Now enlarge the partition to 200G, you must extend
16 > > the PV to match.
17 > >
18 > > A VG isn't a single thing, it's a collection of things. Extending it
19 > > means to add more PVs, reducing it means to take PVs out of the VG.
20 > > Hopefully you will always remember to migrate the data off a PV before
21 > > removing it from a VG :-)
22 > >
23 > > Extend/Reduce an LV means to make the device larger/smaller. It is
24 > > exactly the same thing as changing a partition size using fdisk.
25 > > Obviously, you need to tweak the filesystem at the same time
26 >
27 > So, when I get me a new drive, I use pvcreate to get it ready for LVM,
28 > then use vgextend to add it to the VG, then it is available for whatever
29 > LV I want to extend or to make a new LV?
30 >
31 > I think I am catching on here. It was just difficult for me to grasp
32 > how things are layered for some reason. Some of the pictures I found
33 > helped a good bit tho. Just helped me picture what the commands are
34 > doing exactly.
35 >
36 > I did learn the hard way to resize the file system tho. I forgot that
37 > earlier. Sort of had me scratching my head for a bit. lol
38
39 That's an easy one to miss :)
40
41 You do seem to be catching on quick on this.
44 Joost