From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 13:35:05
1 Joost Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Saturday 09 April 2011 06:43:25 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Apparently, though unproven, at 12:48 on Saturday 09 April 2011, Dale
7 >>> did
8 >>> opine thusly:
9 >>> Yes.
10 >>>
11 >>> PVs, VGs, LVs all have a concept of extend|resize|reduce. What that
12 >>> means
13 >>> depends on what you are working with, but they all make the thing bigger
14 >>> or smaller.
15 >>>
16 >>> For a PV it means the underlying device's size changed, so the PV must
17 >>> change to match. Take a 500G drive, create 1 partition on it of 100G
18 >>> and make it a PV. Now enlarge the partition to 200G, you must extend
19 >>> the PV to match.
20 >>>
21 >>> A VG isn't a single thing, it's a collection of things. Extending it
22 >>> means to add more PVs, reducing it means to take PVs out of the VG.
23 >>> Hopefully you will always remember to migrate the data off a PV before
24 >>> removing it from a VG :-)
25 >>>
26 >>> Extend/Reduce an LV means to make the device larger/smaller. It is
27 >>> exactly the same thing as changing a partition size using fdisk.
28 >>> Obviously, you need to tweak the filesystem at the same time
29 >>>
30 >> So, when I get me a new drive, I use pvcreate to get it ready for LVM,
31 >> then use vgextend to add it to the VG, then it is available for whatever
32 >> LV I want to extend or to make a new LV?
33 >>
34 >> I think I am catching on here. It was just difficult for me to grasp
35 >> how things are layered for some reason. Some of the pictures I found
36 >> helped a good bit tho. Just helped me picture what the commands are
37 >> doing exactly.
38 >>
39 >> I did learn the hard way to resize the file system tho. I forgot that
40 >> earlier. Sort of had me scratching my head for a bit. lol
41 >>
42 > That's an easy one to miss :)
43 >
44 > You do seem to be catching on quick on this.
45 >
46 > --
47 > Joost
51 I think I am too. Since folks know I am disabled anyway, I went to the
52 Dr the other day. The new meds aren't perfect but it is better. When I
53 go back, he may change it to another med. He just wanted to try this
54 first. It does sort of help me to get a better grasp on things tho.
55 Sort of weird in a way. That part is like a side effect. :/
56
57 I'm just needing to find me a good LARGE drive to put in here. I'm
58 checking out the reviews but it just seems most have issues. May just
59 have to buy one, work the stuffing out of it with a script or something
60 to see if it holds up.
61
62 I see some of the large drives spin slower, some a lot slower. Given
63 the density of the data, are they about as fast as a drive that spins at
64 7200? My main drives for my OS and the large drive I already have turn
65 at 7200 rpms. I'm just curious if that would be slower or because of
66 the density of the data, it doesn't matter. I get about 80 to 100Mb/sec
67 on my current drives. I have 3gbs/sec drives which is what my mobo
68 maxes out at. I thought about getting a 6Gb/sec just in case I upgrade
69 my mobo later.
70
71 My data drive mostly has audio/video stuff but does contain pictures I
72 took with my camera and some documents, mostly saved web pages or OOo
73 stuff. My 750Gb drives plays audio/video stuff just fine, even the HD
74 stuff. I just wouldn't want to get a drive that is slow enough to cause
75 pauses and such.
76
77 I see newegg has 3Tb drives too. he he he he O_O
78
79 Thoughts?
80
81 Dale