From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 16:23:26
1 On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 6:33 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > I think I am too.  Since folks know I am disabled anyway, I went to the Dr
5 > the other day.  The new meds aren't perfect but it is better.  When I go
6 > back, he may change it to another med.  He just wanted to try this first.
7 >  It does sort of help me to get a better grasp on things tho.  Sort of weird
8 > in a way.  That part is like a side effect.  :/
9 >
10 > I'm just needing to find me a good LARGE drive to put in here.  I'm checking
11 > out the reviews but it just seems most have issues.  May just have to buy
12 > one, work the stuffing out of it with a script or something to see if it
13 > holds up.
14 >
15 > I see some of the large drives spin slower, some a lot slower.  Given the
16 > density of the data, are they about as fast as a drive that spins at 7200?
17 >  My main drives for my OS and the large drive I already have turn at 7200
18 > rpms.  I'm just curious if that would be slower or because of the density of
19 > the data, it doesn't matter.  I get about 80 to 100Mb/sec on my current
20 > drives.  I have 3gbs/sec drives which is what my mobo maxes out at.  I
21 > thought about getting a 6Gb/sec just in case I upgrade my mobo later.
22 >
23 > My data drive mostly has audio/video stuff but does contain pictures I took
24 > with my camera and some documents, mostly saved web pages or OOo stuff.  My
25 > 750Gb drives plays audio/video stuff just fine, even the HD stuff.  I just
26 > wouldn't want to get a drive that is slow enough to cause pauses and such.
27 >
28 > I see newegg has 3Tb drives too.  he he he he  O_O
29 >
30 > Thoughts?
31 >
32 > Dale
33
34 Good thread Dale. I've been busy this week so I finally read the whole
35 thing, start to finish, this morning. Good LVM info which I expect
36 I'll use one of these days myself.
37
38 Personally II think one thing you might want to consider, given your
39 concerns about not losing important personal data, is to investigate
40 RAID with the same level of focus that you are doing with LVM. Instead
41 of buying very large drives (3TB) you can build a large RAID6 or RAID5
42 out of smaller 500GB or 1TB drives. Personally my home compute server,
43 which runs 4 copies of Windows 7 in VMWare and Virtualbox for trading
44 in the futures market, is set up this way:
45
46 - Five 500GB WD RAID Edition physical drives
47
48 - /boot is just a 100MB partition on /dev/sda, but I've saved more
49 partition space on other drives with various kernel images should
50 /dev/sda fail.
51
52 - Gentoo is on a 50GB 5-drive RAID1. That's a LOT of redundancy. I can
53 technically lose 4 drives and the system continues to work fine. For
54 the OS that's essentially unkillable short of someting like a power
55 supply failure taking out all the drives or the MB.
56
57 - /home is on a 5-drive RAID6 using 50GB partitions. That gives me a
58 total of 150GB storage personally for my pictures, videos, code, etc.,
59 and allows 2 drives to fail without losing data.
60
61 - /VirtualMachines is on a 5-drive RAID6 using the remaining 400GB on
62 each drive, so that's 1.2TB with redundancy of a 2-drive loss being
63 protected.
64
65 I then have a few external eSATA hard drives that I use for backups.
66 /home to one pair, /VirtualMachines to another pair.
67
68 I think if I was to set up this system from scratch again I might
69 consider one large RAID6 using 450GB and putting /home in one LV and
70 /VirtualMachines in another. The advantage would be that over time, if
71 my personal needs increased, I could resize the LVs more easily than
72 resizing the RAIDs. (Which is also possible but beyond the scope of
73 this thread...)
74
75 Anyway, it's just another idea about how you can use the same hardware
76 in a different configuration. Five 1TB drives as a RAID6 gives you
77 both 3TB of storage as well as far more reliability. One 3TB drive by
78 itself can die and everything is gone.
79
80 Congrats on your learning experience and I hope it continues to be
81 successful for you.
82
83 Cheers,
84 Mark