From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ATI X trouble, again
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 22:12:39
1 On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Jesús Guerrero writes:
3 >
4 >> On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 17:47:44 +0200, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
5 >> wrote:
6 >
7 >> What kind of blank is it? Do you see the mouse pointer at least? Do the
8 >> monitor(s) stay on or do they go into standby mode?
9 >
10 > The monitors complain about bad frequencies. The TFT then enters standby
11 > mode, the CRT continues trying to show something, but I only see the
12 > "frequency out of range" message.
13 >
14 >> I've had issues with
15 >> radeon in the past, and after asking in the mailing list it seemed like
16 >> some issue with my AGP card. Some developer suggested to try this in the
17 >> xorg.conf file and it worked for me:
18 >>
19 >>   Option      "BusType" "PCIE"
20 >>
21 >> And yes, it's an AGP card. The logic behind this is out of my
22 >> understanding. You can see the thread here:
23 >>
24 >> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.freedesktop.xorg.drivers.ati/10628/ma
25 >> tch=i92guboj
26 >
27 > Tried that, but it did not help.
28 >
29 >> If you have problems with the radeon (not fglrx or radeonhd) driver, I
30 >> suggest posting to that list. It's probably the best place to get help if
31 >> the standard procedures do not work.
32 >
33 > Thanks! I will do that.
34 >
35 >        Wonko
36
37 BTW - EVERY problem I was having when I dealt with this sort of thing
38 a couple of months ago was visible in some sense in the Xorg.0.log
39 files. I would look for errors, figure out what was causing them,
40 mostly being config issues in my case, and then fix them and try
41 again. It really paid to sort of dig into that file and try to look
42 closely at every warning message along with the more obvious error
43 (EE) messages.
44
45 I also got help on the same ATI list you were pointed out. Very helpful folks.
48 Good luck,
49 Mark