From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE Plasma 5 moved to stable
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 22:10:18
1 On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 04:37:05AM +1000, Michael Palimaka wrote:
2 > Hi Peter,
3 >
4 > On 11/04/16 20:34, Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 > > On Saturday 09 April 2016 11:12:51 Mick wrote:
6 > >> I noticed today that Plasma 5 is now stable, which means I will soon have
7 > >> to deal with it.
8 > >
9 > > I saw that too, and it cast a gloom over the rest of my day. I intend to stick
10 > > with KDE-4 until some more sensible themes become available in Plasma 5, so I
11 > > hope someone will be keeping an archive of KDE-4 somewhere, as in the earlier
12 > > case of KDE 3 -> 4.
13 >
14 > While both Plasma 4 and even Qt 4 are end-of-life upstream, I don't
15 > think they're going anywhere quite yet. There's no pressing need to
16 > remove it yet, and there's still a long way to go in terms of porting in
17 > the Qt ecosystem in general.
18 >
19 > When it is eventually removed, I also don't see any reason why Qt 4 and
20 > KDE 4 can't go to the kde-sunset overlay along with 3.
21
22 What I loved about Gentoo in the olden days was that it was one of the very
23 few distros that still kept KDE3 in its normal repos for a long time, while
24 many other popular binary distros jumped on the band wagon as early as 4.1,
25 when it was barely usable and full of trivial bugs.
26
27 We even had the choice of installing both KDE3 and 4 at the same time. That
28 made transition far easier and it allowed me to get settled in due time. So
29 I'm not particularly worried about the next few months, especially with the
30 modularity and interchangeability of today's KDE components.
31
32 Thank you for that, devs and maintainers. Good night.
33 --
34 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
35 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any social network.
36
37 All pleasant things are either immoral, illegal or make you fat.