From: czernitko <czernitko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is it possible to move from hardened profile?
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 15:06:13
1 Well, hardened profile really did add some peace of mind to me, very rarely
2 I found some app to be terminated thanks to stack smashing protection. I
3 would like to have safe working environment, but the incompatibility cost
4 me quite some time. Hardened would be the only choice for me if it was a
5 server solution, but for notebook workstation with KDE it is quite
6 inconvenient. ATI fglrx drivers have problems on hardened kernel (even with
7 GrSec and PAX disabled, just thanks to other hardened patches), VirtualBox
8 cannot be compiled using hardened gcc profile, when trying to emerge
9 wxMaxima some of its dependencies refuse to be compiled on hardened profile
10 (was it gnuplot? I am really not sure)... These are usually small amounts
11 of time which I have to invest, but there is quite a bunch of them. On
12 server I have no such problems and I am using hardened profile with lots of
13 security features turned on without problems, but on desktop workstation it
14 is quite a pain.
15 Anyway I have already creates a partition and in some free time I have been
16 installing Gentoo with default profile via chroot. When I have complete
17 environment and all my data moved, I'll try to convert the profile, just
18 out of curiosity...
19 Peter