From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on a cell?
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 20:33:21
1 On 2/20/20 7:28 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > james wrote:
3 >> On 2/20/20 5:23 PM, Dale wrote:
4 >>> james wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>
7 >>> Reading that Samsung is interested in this makes me glad I bought a
8 >>> Samsung cell phone.� :-D� While nervous about this sort of thing,
9 >>> scared
10 >>> I might brick the thing, it is interesting and something I would
11 >>> consider when the time is right.
12 >>
13 >> Agreed; totally. That's the hint, new releases of the latest cell
14 >> phones, that are flexible, particularly with groups. Developing a
15 >> gentoo base, with their help, is a win-win. Just look at where CoreOS
16 >> (a gentoo derivative) ended up. Big business, and now trying to save
17 >> IBM from themselves. Of coarse Redhat is dropping very fast in
18 >> popularity as a linux distro, cause they now see the power of gentoo.
19 >> But they did continue with systemd,
20 >> which is another 'can of worms'.
23 >> There is a recent 'spat' between Samsung and Google on kernel
24 >> sources... that is an interesting read; ymmv. What the result is; is
25 >> that Samsung is reaching out directly to the hard core linux community
26 >> (that's gentoo folks), although not directly credited (as usual). It's
27 >> a short read.
30 >> https://www.gsmgotech.com/2020/02/google-criticizes-samsung-for-making.html
34 >> I got backed into this because of my history (I actually put GTE on
35 >> the commercial internet back in 1990, as� Florida's fist ISP
36 >> CFTnet.com..... Lots of dead bodies...
39 >> Now, I'm a 5G activist, so that telcos become merely non-exclusive
40 >> bandwidth providers and only the less informed use them for mobile
41 >> software stacks.....� We'll see, I may get shot, but I'm old and just
42 >> tired of the bullshit of the carriers, the F_fed idiots and all of
43 >> those punks with nefarious intentions. Time to stand up, ymmv.
46 >> I think 'doctor trump' is ready to return the freedom and control of
47 >> the airwaves, back to the citizens. The swamp really, really smells
48 >> bad and is rotten to the core.
52 >>> Who is this DALE you mention?� Just curious since that's my name
53 >>> and I'm
54 >>> on a tractor, when arthritis allows it.
58 >> Yep, that was (you) I referenced, with just one pseudo use case of
59 >> multiple gentoo cell phones acting in a mobile cluster. I hope I did
60 >> not insult your countenance.....?
63 >> Like it or not, you seem to find bugs and flaws that most of us miss.
64 >> Besides with 4 cell phones, you could have an audio reproduction
65 >> system that is 3 dimensional, and custom graphical tools, not
66 >> purchased from a farm equipment dealer but hacked together many
67 >> internet folks.
70 >> Folks like you, are the poster child for what 5G is all about. The
71 >> carriers think it's an opportunity to extort more money from the US
72 >> citizens.� Let's build our own secure networks, cheaply, and use the
73 >> carriers as but one option to move bits. Carriers should not have ever
74 >> been allowed to dictate and control communications. Dig ditches, lay
75 >> fiber and connect to a myriad of equipment, controlled by others, is
76 >> what carriers *should* be focused on.
79 >> 5G is an opportunity for a real communications revolution and GENTOO
80 >> needs to be right in the middle of the birthing of real communications
81 >> freedom.� Multi-path links and 5G hardware, will allow the citizens to
82 >> control their secure communications. Very likely to be the biggest
83 >> issue, in the 2024 election, republican or democrat, as we all have
84 >> the right to completely secure communications, as much as we have the
85 >> right to consume oxygen from the atmosphere!
88 >>> Dale
89 >>>
90 >>> :-)� :-)
91 >>
92 >> WE rig you up, you just might have to ride that tractor to DC, so
93 >> folks see that this pending communications revolution is about
94 >> empowerment of the masses. Lots of street parties along the way;
95 >> that's my hope (and prayer). an old fashion 'hippi music festival in
96 >> each town.
99 >> 99.9� percent of classified material is bullshit. It's� a ruse; just a
100 >> tool of economic competition and exclusion, for the LARGE� vendors to
101 >> have exclusive, non competitive access to do work for the government,
102 >> without small vendors having a shot.
105 >> 5G CAN change everything! Gentoo should blaze the open source pathway
106 >> of contributions and WE all should dream, build and get control of our
107 >> country back!
110 >> 5G may be our last chance before Satan rules via consolidating all the
111 >> large governments! 5G is our last chance, imho, for citizens to get
112 >> control of their respective countries back. Stand or die, as the
113 >> plagues of the last days, are just around the corner. Gentoo saves the
114 >> world? Sound like a good movie for someone to make.....
117 >> Be blessed,
118 >> James
123 > Yea, I'm good at finding a bug.� My recent experience with a stage3
124 > tarball shows that.� After several tries, I came to the conclusion that
125 > the stage3 tarball is basically worthless.� I unpacked it, copied over
126 > the new tree, no need downloading a new one when I have one, then tried
127 > to update it with the default USE flags the stage3 provides.� Right at
128 > the start, I ran into a circular dependency and some blocked packages.
129 > No matter what I tried, including posts on how to get around it, it
130 > never would upgrade.� I just wonder if anyone else is running into the
131 > same issue.� I ended up copying my OS over to the new build location and
132 > using it.� It works.
133 >
134 > I like open source stuff.� I've never "bought" a OS for any computer
135 > I've ever had.� One reason I bought my� Samsung cell phone, Linux.
136 > Before that, I had a Motorola Razr.� I'd still have it if not for the
137 > charge port getting worn out.� I could no longer charge the phone
138 > reliably.� I have a Samsung monitor, Linux; LG TVs, Linux again.� If I
139 > can find something that runs Linux that I need, it's my first choice.
140 > Look in the owners manual in the last few pages.� It usually mentions
141 > the Linux kernel if its running Linux.
142 >
143 > Yep, I'd love to Gentoo head down this path.� Someone posted a link to a
144 > image that shows all the offshoots of Gentoo.� It's quite a lot.� That
145 > was years ago.� I'm not sure if more have been added or not.� If Gentoo
146 > shut down and deleted the tree, a lot of people would be lost. It would
147 > also take a lot of people to pick it up and get it going again, if it
148 > can be done.
149 >
150 > I'm not offended at all by the mention of my name.� I just thought maybe
151 > someone named a tractor brand after me.� ROFL
152 >
153 > Oh, having my own OS on my phone would also mean I could uninstall those
154 > apps I don't want or need.� Some can't be uninstalled since they are
155 > "required" even tho they show never being used, ever.
156 >
157 > Dale
158
159 Well, I finally found a comprehensive lists of linux oriented cell phone
160 work, in open source
163 https://www.pine64.org/
164
165 https://www.pine64.org/pinephone/
166
167 under the 'partner projects' is a listing by distro. Most of the major
168 linux distros are not listed. Since Gentoo Embedded has such a rich
169 history of one-off devices and partial gentoo stacks, I'm just shocked
170 WE are not listed there.
171
172 I'll see what I can do about that, cause::
175 " Powered by the same Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53 64-Bit SOC used in our
176 popular PINE A64 Single Board Computer, the PinePhone runs mainline
177 Linux as well as anything else you�ll get it to run."
178
179 This will just give me more evidence why samsung should work with us too.
180
181 I'm a bit shocked, and very excited, none of the gentoo folks have
182 blazed this trail!
183
184 They are even clustering the these phone:
185
186 https://www.pine64.org/clusterboard/
189 My vision was more of a generic cluster, where any embedded linux phone
190 (most?) could just join/run/exit
191 a cluster for a myriad of reasons. USB-4 would be a better interface
192 than a 'buss', imho.
193
194 Multi-path-asynchronous routing can lead to awesome
195 security semantics...... and clustered phones with services different
196 vendors, would just be sooooooooo
197 cool.
200 Stay tuned and remember, just one extra 12VDC battery,
201 like the optima series, would be quiet capable of interfacing to solar
202 panels and running that cluster on a tractor in a parade, or just
203 replacing fancy/expensive vendor equipment software that gives a tractor
204 advanced controls capabilities with the attachments......
205
206 piss on Deer, Case and the rest. WE do not need them anymore, except to
207 service warranty issues.
208
209 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tractor_manufacturers
210