From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on a cell?
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 00:28:56
1 james wrote:
2 > On 2/20/20 5:23 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> james wrote:
6 >> Reading that Samsung is interested in this makes me glad I bought a
7 >> Samsung cell phone.� :-D� While nervous about this sort of thing,
8 >> scared
9 >> I might brick the thing, it is interesting and something I would
10 >> consider when the time is right.
11 >
12 > Agreed; totally. That's the hint, new releases of the latest cell
13 > phones, that are flexible, particularly with groups. Developing a
14 > gentoo base, with their help, is a win-win. Just look at where CoreOS
15 > (a gentoo derivative) ended up. Big business, and now trying to save
16 > IBM from themselves. Of coarse Redhat is dropping very fast in
17 > popularity as a linux distro, cause they now see the power of gentoo.
18 > But they did continue with systemd,
19 > which is another 'can of worms'.
22 > There is a recent 'spat' between Samsung and Google on kernel
23 > sources... that is an interesting read; ymmv. What the result is; is
24 > that Samsung is reaching out directly to the hard core linux community
25 > (that's gentoo folks), although not directly credited (as usual). It's
26 > a short read.
29 > https://www.gsmgotech.com/2020/02/google-criticizes-samsung-for-making.html
33 > I got backed into this because of my history (I actually put GTE on
34 > the commercial internet back in 1990, as  Florida's fist ISP
35 > CFTnet.com..... Lots of dead bodies...
38 > Now, I'm a 5G activist, so that telcos become merely non-exclusive
39 > bandwidth providers and only the less informed use them for mobile
40 > software stacks.....  We'll see, I may get shot, but I'm old and just
41 > tired of the bullshit of the carriers, the F_fed idiots and all of
42 > those punks with nefarious intentions. Time to stand up, ymmv.
45 > I think 'doctor trump' is ready to return the freedom and control of
46 > the airwaves, back to the citizens. The swamp really, really smells
47 > bad and is rotten to the core.
51 >> Who is this DALE you mention?� Just curious since that's my name
52 >> and I'm
53 >> on a tractor, when arthritis allows it.
57 > Yep, that was (you) I referenced, with just one pseudo use case of
58 > multiple gentoo cell phones acting in a mobile cluster. I hope I did
59 > not insult your countenance.....?
62 > Like it or not, you seem to find bugs and flaws that most of us miss.
63 > Besides with 4 cell phones, you could have an audio reproduction
64 > system that is 3 dimensional, and custom graphical tools, not
65 > purchased from a farm equipment dealer but hacked together many
66 > internet folks.
69 > Folks like you, are the poster child for what 5G is all about. The
70 > carriers think it's an opportunity to extort more money from the US
71 > citizens.  Let's build our own secure networks, cheaply, and use the
72 > carriers as but one option to move bits. Carriers should not have ever
73 > been allowed to dictate and control communications. Dig ditches, lay
74 > fiber and connect to a myriad of equipment, controlled by others, is
75 > what carriers *should* be focused on.
78 > 5G is an opportunity for a real communications revolution and GENTOO
79 > needs to be right in the middle of the birthing of real communications
80 > freedom.  Multi-path links and 5G hardware, will allow the citizens to
81 > control their secure communications. Very likely to be the biggest
82 > issue, in the 2024 election, republican or democrat, as we all have
83 > the right to completely secure communications, as much as we have the
84 > right to consume oxygen from the atmosphere!
87 >> Dale
88 >>
89 >> :-)� :-)
90 >
91 > WE rig you up, you just might have to ride that tractor to DC, so
92 > folks see that this pending communications revolution is about
93 > empowerment of the masses. Lots of street parties along the way;
94 > that's my hope (and prayer). an old fashion 'hippi music festival in
95 > each town.
98 > 99.9  percent of classified material is bullshit. It's  a ruse; just a
99 > tool of economic competition and exclusion, for the LARGE  vendors to
100 > have exclusive, non competitive access to do work for the government,
101 > without small vendors having a shot.
104 > 5G CAN change everything! Gentoo should blaze the open source pathway
105 > of contributions and WE all should dream, build and get control of our
106 > country back!
109 > 5G may be our last chance before Satan rules via consolidating all the
110 > large governments! 5G is our last chance, imho, for citizens to get
111 > control of their respective countries back. Stand or die, as the
112 > plagues of the last days, are just around the corner. Gentoo saves the
113 > world? Sound like a good movie for someone to make.....
116 > Be blessed,
117 > James
122 Yea, I'm good at finding a bug.  My recent experience with a stage3
123 tarball shows that.  After several tries, I came to the conclusion that
124 the stage3 tarball is basically worthless.  I unpacked it, copied over
125 the new tree, no need downloading a new one when I have one, then tried
126 to update it with the default USE flags the stage3 provides.  Right at
127 the start, I ran into a circular dependency and some blocked packages.
128 No matter what I tried, including posts on how to get around it, it
129 never would upgrade.  I just wonder if anyone else is running into the
130 same issue.  I ended up copying my OS over to the new build location and
131 using it.  It works.
132
133 I like open source stuff.  I've never "bought" a OS for any computer
134 I've ever had.  One reason I bought my  Samsung cell phone, Linux.
135 Before that, I had a Motorola Razr.  I'd still have it if not for the
136 charge port getting worn out.  I could no longer charge the phone
137 reliably.  I have a Samsung monitor, Linux; LG TVs, Linux again.  If I
138 can find something that runs Linux that I need, it's my first choice.
139 Look in the owners manual in the last few pages.  It usually mentions
140 the Linux kernel if its running Linux.
141
142 Yep, I'd love to Gentoo head down this path.  Someone posted a link to a
143 image that shows all the offshoots of Gentoo.  It's quite a lot.  That
144 was years ago.  I'm not sure if more have been added or not.  If Gentoo
145 shut down and deleted the tree, a lot of people would be lost. It would
146 also take a lot of people to pick it up and get it going again, if it
147 can be done.
148
149 I'm not offended at all by the mention of my name.  I just thought maybe
150 someone named a tractor brand after me.  ROFL
151
152 Oh, having my own OS on my phone would also mean I could uninstall those
153 apps I don't want or need.  Some can't be uninstalled since they are
154 "required" even tho they show never being used, ever.
155
156 Dale
157