From: Jake Moe <jakesaddress@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless Issue
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 21:35:53
1 On 05/20/10 01:06, Zeerak Mustafa Waseem wrote:
2 > On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 07:14:35AM -0400, CJoeB wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> I had wireless working just fine back when I was using the
7 >> 2.6.27-gentoo-r8 kernel. Since upgrading to the 2.6.30 series of
8 >> kernels, I haven't been able to get it working. I was using the ipw3945
9 >> driver, but this driver needs TKIP and something else (don't remember
10 >> what) set in the cryptographic section of the kernel source. I can't
11 >> seem to find where that is located, if it is in the kernel that I am
12 >> currently running - 2.6.31-gentoo-r10.
13 >>
14 >> I've tried using the corresponding driver within the kernel, but I still
15 >> get told that my wireless connection does not exist and that I should
16 >> verify the hardware or kernel module driver.
17 >>
18 >> I have also always used wireless-tools. I know wpa_supplicant is
19 >> supposed to be better because you can enable WEP encryption, but I tried
20 >> to set that up too and I still get told that my wireless connection does
21 >> not exist and that I should verify the hardware or kernel module driver.
22 >>
23 >> I'd be happy just using wireless-tools if I could get the ipw3945 driver
24 >> to build, but can't without TKIP. Does anyone know if this setting has
25 >> been taken out of the kernel source or if it is just located in some
26 >> obsure place that I can't find?
27 >>
28 >> Regards,
29 >>
30 >> Colleen
31 >>
32 >> --
33 >>
34 >> Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org
38 > I'm sorry if I'm mistaken, or if this comes across as awfully rude but didn't you ask the same question back in March? Did you have a look at the replies from then to see if that could help with this issue?
39 > Also you can search within the kernel by entering '/' a search field will come up, and if you know part of the name (past thread of same title should reveal that), you should be able to locate it.
40 >
41 > Hope it helps
44 After you built your new kernel, did you re-emerge iwl3945-ucode? I
45 usually forgot that step when upgrading my kernel (along with
46 nvidia-drivers). I believe if you look in /var/log/messages, you'll see
47 a message about missing microcode if this is the case.
48
49 Also, I use wireless-tools just fine with mine, and it's running
50 2.6.31-r10 (I keep meaning to upgrade my kernel to the latest stable).
51
52 John Moe