From: Michael Mair-Keimberger <m.mairkeimberger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] unable to compile kdelibs in arm chroot
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 09:24:03
1 On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 04:44:55PM -0400, Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
2 > On Thursday, March 19, 2015 9:11:02 PM Michael Mair-Keimberger wrote:
3 > > Hi List,
4 > >
5 > > For the last few weeks i was playing around with my newly acquired
6 > > raspberry pi 2. While it was pretty easy to setup a working gentoo
7 > > stage3 system i failed installing anything below the basic packages.
8 > > Generally my idea was building the arm packages on any system and
9 > > provide them as binary packages for other raspberry pi's (yeah, i
10 > > already bought my second rpi :D)
11 > >
12 > > At first, my idea was to build all the packages directly on the rpi. (with
13 > > /var/tmp & /usr/portage on a external harddisk). However, the compile
14 > > times are worse than i expected so i abandoned the idea.
15 > >
16 > > Next i've played around with crossdev. It sort of worked, but i never
17 > > could finish compiling xorg-server. (or basic system packages) Even
18 > > though i've started over and over with different settings, there were
19 > > always packages which failed to compile thus doesn't let me finish
20 > > xorg-server. I might look into it some other day but now i just wanted
21 > > something working.
22 > >
23 > > Now i'm playing with using qemu-arm [1][2] in order to compile the
24 > > packages inside a chroot. This is - so far - the most promising method
25 > > building packages, even though the compile times are worse than with
26 > > crossdev, but still better than directly on the rpi.
27 > >
28 > > So far i finally could compile xorg-server and also updated the whole
29 > > system, which, at this point, wasn't much anyway. My next goal was kde.
30 > > I've compiled about half of all packages which are required for
31 > > kdebase-meta, but now i'm stuck at kdelibs and i have no idea what's
32 > > wrong.
33 > >
34 > > The problem:
35 > >
36 > > The problem is, the compile doesn't fail - it just hangs/stops. At some
37 > > point (which seems to be random - it can stop anywhere between 1% and
38 > > 100% of the compile) the compile stops and does nothing. I've waited
39 > > hours, but nothing happened.
40 > > So far i tried lots of things, for example:
41 > > * MAKEOPTS="-j1" and/or FEATURES="-sandbox"
42 > > * also tried without building binary packages (-buildpkg)
43 > > * /var/tmp on tmpfs
44 > > * using: ebuild /usr/portage/kde-base/..../kdelibs....ebuild compile
45 > > * using python3.3 instead of default 2.7
46 > > * moved it on a different system and tried building it there (again with
47 > > many different settings)
48 > >
49 > > Nothing worked, even though the build moved until 100% two times (-_-)
50 > >
51 > > I have no idea what the problem is. Even qtwebkit, which took way longer
52 > > to compile (about 3 hours) compiled on the first try. (which should
53 > > exclude temperate and/or resource problems)
54 > > I also don't think it's a problem with a use flag as the build stops
55 > > anywhere - i couldn't find a pattern. It seems to be completely random.
56 > >
57 > > Any ideas whats wrong or how to fix this? Any help would be much
58 > > appreciated as i'm out of ideas :(
59 > >
60 > > Thx
61 > >
62 > > [1] https://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/?part=1&chap=5
63 > > [2] http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Crossdev_qemu-static-user-chroot
64 >
65 > One possibility is swap trashing (running so low in RAM that every instruction
66 > takes several swaps to execute), especially with /var/tmp on tmpfs! This can
67 > happen even if you don't have a swap partition. Try with either more RAM or
68 > /var/tmp on a physical filesystem.
69 >
70 Usually /var/tmp is on the physical filesystem anyway. I've tried it
71 just once or twice because i though about a performance problem. RAM
72 shouldn't be a problem too as i'm having 16GB of RAM available.
73 >
74 > --
75 > Fernando Rodriguez
79 greetings