From: allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no sound through headphones (OK through speakers)
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 20:25:06
1 On Wed, Jul 13 2016, wabe wrote:
2
3 > allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Wed, Jul 13 2016, wabe wrote:
6 >>
7 >> > allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
8 >> >
9 >> >> On Wed, Jul 13 2016, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
10 >> >>
11 >> >> > On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 12:55 PM, allan gottlieb
12 >> >> > <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
13 >> >> >> Hardware: Dell Latitude E7450 laptop
14 >> >> >>
15 >> >> >> Gentoo essentially all stable
16 >> >> >> Gnome / Systemd
17 >> >> >>
18 >> >> >> When I play a movie using totem it sounds fine if no headphones
19 >> >> >> are plugged it.
20 >> >> >>
21 >> >> >> No sound at all with headphones (I tried three different ones).
22 >> >> >>
23 >> >> >> The sound settings gui recognizes that headphones are in. The
24 >> >> >> sound test is silent. If I select the internal speakers in the
25 >> >> >> gui (with the headphones still in) sound is fine.
26 >> >> >>
27 >> >> >> Is there some headphone option I must enable in the kernel or
28 >> >> >> elsewhere?
29 >> >> >
30 >> >> > The volume is probably muted for the headphones. Install
31 >> >> > pavucontrol, and execute it while the movie is playing. In the
32 >> >> > "Output Devices" tab look for your sound card (probably something
33 >> >> > like "Built-in Audio"), and in port select "Headphones". Then
34 >> >> > adjust the volume.
35 >> >> >
36 >> >> > Regards.
37 >> >>
38 >> >> Thank you (and robot1). I installed pavucontrol and followed your
39 >> >> instructions. The volume was selected in the middle (100%). We
40 >> >> see a volume meter going up and down as expected with either
41 >> >> headphones or speakers selected. When mute is pressed the meter
42 >> >> looks dead, as expected.
43 >> >>
44 >> >> It also shows line-out is unplugged and headphones are plugged it.
45 >> >>
46 >> >> Any thoughts. I appreciate the help.
47 >> >
48 >> > Maybe the headphone amp or the headphone socket of your soundcard
49 >> > is broken. Plug the speakers into the headphone socket and test if
50 >> > you can hear something. For my experience you can do that without
51 >> > the risk of killing something, but of course I can give you no
52 >> > guarantee. :-)
53 >> e>
54 >> > --
55 >> > Regards
56 >> > wabe
57 >>
58 >> I can't do that this week. I can try it next week at home where I
59 >> think I have speakers that plug in.
60 >
61 > If your headphones are headsets with microphones it maybe could be
62 > that the headphone socket of the soundcard isn't compatible with
63 > the plugs of the headphones. But that's just a thought. I never had
64 > a soundcard where this was the case.
65 >
66 > --
67 > Regards
68 > wabe
69
70 They are just earbuds, no mic. But maybe the port of the laptop assumes
71 a mic + headphone (i.e., three signals mic, left "ear", right "ear" as
72 used for cell phones. I have one of those at home I can try this
73 weekend.
74
75 thanks,
76 allan