From: wabe <wabenbau@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no sound through headphones (OK through speakers)
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 20:06:45
1 allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Jul 13 2016, wabe wrote:
4 >
5 > > allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> On Wed, Jul 13 2016, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
8 > >>
9 > >> > On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 12:55 PM, allan gottlieb
10 > >> > <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
11 > >> >> Hardware: Dell Latitude E7450 laptop
12 > >> >>
13 > >> >> Gentoo essentially all stable
14 > >> >> Gnome / Systemd
15 > >> >>
16 > >> >> When I play a movie using totem it sounds fine if no headphones
17 > >> >> are plugged it.
18 > >> >>
19 > >> >> No sound at all with headphones (I tried three different ones).
20 > >> >>
21 > >> >> The sound settings gui recognizes that headphones are in. The
22 > >> >> sound test is silent. If I select the internal speakers in the
23 > >> >> gui (with the headphones still in) sound is fine.
24 > >> >>
25 > >> >> Is there some headphone option I must enable in the kernel or
26 > >> >> elsewhere?
27 > >> >
28 > >> > The volume is probably muted for the headphones. Install
29 > >> > pavucontrol, and execute it while the movie is playing. In the
30 > >> > "Output Devices" tab look for your sound card (probably something
31 > >> > like "Built-in Audio"), and in port select "Headphones". Then
32 > >> > adjust the volume.
33 > >> >
34 > >> > Regards.
35 > >>
36 > >> Thank you (and robot1). I installed pavucontrol and followed your
37 > >> instructions. The volume was selected in the middle (100%). We
38 > >> see a volume meter going up and down as expected with either
39 > >> headphones or speakers selected. When mute is pressed the meter
40 > >> looks dead, as expected.
41 > >>
42 > >> It also shows line-out is unplugged and headphones are plugged it.
43 > >>
44 > >> Any thoughts. I appreciate the help.
45 > >
46 > > Maybe the headphone amp or the headphone socket of your soundcard
47 > > is broken. Plug the speakers into the headphone socket and test if
48 > > you can hear something. For my experience you can do that without
49 > > the risk of killing something, but of course I can give you no
50 > > guarantee. :-)
51 > e>
52 > > --
53 > > Regards
54 > > wabe
55 >
56 > I can't do that this week. I can try it next week at home where I
57 > think I have speakers that plug in.
58
59 If your headphones are headsets with microphones it maybe could be
60 that the headphone socket of the soundcard isn't compatible with
61 the plugs of the headphones. But that's just a thought. I never had
62 a soundcard where this was the case.
65 Regards
66 wabe