From: allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no sound through headphones (OK through speakers)
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 19:45:56
1 On Wed, Jul 13 2016, wabe wrote:
2
3 > allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Wed, Jul 13 2016, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
6 >>
7 >> > On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 12:55 PM, allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
8 >> > wrote:
9 >> >> Hardware: Dell Latitude E7450 laptop
10 >> >>
11 >> >> Gentoo essentially all stable
12 >> >> Gnome / Systemd
13 >> >>
14 >> >> When I play a movie using totem it sounds fine if no headphones are
15 >> >> plugged it.
16 >> >>
17 >> >> No sound at all with headphones (I tried three different ones).
18 >> >>
19 >> >> The sound settings gui recognizes that headphones are in. The
20 >> >> sound test is silent. If I select the internal speakers in the
21 >> >> gui (with the headphones still in) sound is fine.
22 >> >>
23 >> >> Is there some headphone option I must enable in the kernel or
24 >> >> elsewhere?
25 >> >
26 >> > The volume is probably muted for the headphones. Install
27 >> > pavucontrol, and execute it while the movie is playing. In the
28 >> > "Output Devices" tab look for your sound card (probably something
29 >> > like "Built-in Audio"), and in port select "Headphones". Then
30 >> > adjust the volume.
31 >> >
32 >> > Regards.
33 >>
34 >> Thank you (and robot1). I installed pavucontrol and followed your
35 >> instructions. The volume was selected in the middle (100%). We see a
36 >> volume meter going up and down as expected with either headphones or
37 >> speakers selected. When mute is pressed the meter looks dead, as
38 >> expected.
39 >>
40 >> It also shows line-out is unplugged and headphones are plugged it.
41 >>
42 >> Any thoughts. I appreciate the help.
43 >
44 > Maybe the headphone amp or the headphone socket of your soundcard is
45 > broken. Plug the speakers into the headphone socket and test if you
46 > can hear something. For my experience you can do that without the risk
47 > of killing something, but of course I can give you no guarantee. :-)
48 e>
49 > --
50 > Regards
51 > wabe
52
53 I can't do that this week. I can try it next week at home where I think
54 I have speakers that plug in.
55
56 allan