From: wabe <wabenbau@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no sound through headphones (OK through speakers)
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 19:41:15
1 allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Jul 13 2016, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 12:55 PM, allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
6 > > wrote:
7 > >> Hardware: Dell Latitude E7450 laptop
8 > >>
9 > >> Gentoo essentially all stable
10 > >> Gnome / Systemd
11 > >>
12 > >> When I play a movie using totem it sounds fine if no headphones are
13 > >> plugged it.
14 > >>
15 > >> No sound at all with headphones (I tried three different ones).
16 > >>
17 > >> The sound settings gui recognizes that headphones are in. The
18 > >> sound test is silent. If I select the internal speakers in the
19 > >> gui (with the headphones still in) sound is fine.
20 > >>
21 > >> Is there some headphone option I must enable in the kernel or
22 > >> elsewhere?
23 > >
24 > > The volume is probably muted for the headphones. Install
25 > > pavucontrol, and execute it while the movie is playing. In the
26 > > "Output Devices" tab look for your sound card (probably something
27 > > like "Built-in Audio"), and in port select "Headphones". Then
28 > > adjust the volume.
29 > >
30 > > Regards.
31 >
32 > Thank you (and robot1). I installed pavucontrol and followed your
33 > instructions. The volume was selected in the middle (100%). We see a
34 > volume meter going up and down as expected with either headphones or
35 > speakers selected. When mute is pressed the meter looks dead, as
36 > expected.
37 >
38 > It also shows line-out is unplugged and headphones are plugged it.
39 >
40 > Any thoughts. I appreciate the help.
41
42 Maybe the headphone amp or the headphone socket of your soundcard is
43 broken. Plug the speakers into the headphone socket and test if you
44 can hear something. For my experience you can do that without the risk
45 of killing something, but of course I can give you no guarantee. :-)
48 Regards
49 wabe