From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Simple SMTP to cmd-line MTA relay?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 20:11:26
1 On 19/01/2018 22:01, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2018-01-19, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 19/01/2018 21:43, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
4 >>> On 2018-01-19 18:49, Grant Edwards wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>>> Just like the others writing in this thread, I am wondering why you
7 >>>>> need 2 pieces here. Why won't e.g. exim do both sides of this for
8 >>>>> you? It certainly has all the functionality.
9 >>>>
10 >>>> I don't see how you can say that when you don't know the method that
11 >>>> my command-line MTA uses to transfer mail on down the path towards
12 >>>> delivery.
13 >>>
14 >>> I can say it because I have some experience with exim, and I know it can
15 >>> do pretty much anything. If its configuration language isn't Turing
16 >>> complete, it is quite damn close to it. And the same can be said of
17 >>> sendmail, though I know much less about it know.
18 >>
19 >> I'm also wondering why you need 2 bits. Earlier in the thread you
20 >> mentioned that you send perhaps a few messages a week and never more
21 >> than one connection at a time.
22 >>
23 >> Why do you need anything more complex than ssmtp?
24 >
25 > I'm not just _sending_ mail. I'm relaying mail that's being sent by
26 > another host. I need an SMTP server that supports AUTH and SSL.
27
28 OK
31 >> where are the messages coming from? localhost? the lan? somewhere
32 >> on the internet?
33 >
34 > SMTP clients (on the Internet). I thought that was sort of implied by
35 > the requirement for an SMTP server (with AUTH and SSL).
36
37 Well, sort of implied. The door was still open for all manner of other
38 interpretations. Eg, you have 10 staff but only 2 may send mail, so
39 authorize them by username and password - ssl, no internet. There are
40 many other possibles
43 >> Grant, you should explain your requirements in detail.
44 >
45 > I thought I did.
46 >
47 > My requirement is to provide an SMTP server (with AUTH and SSL) that
48 > accepts mail and relays it by invoking a command-line utility that has
49 > the same usage as /usr/bin/sendmail.
50
51 Is it correct to assume this sendmail-like utility is the broken one
52 that does the next step as you want it, presumably delivering to Exchange?
53
54 Configure the delivery options in MTA you set up to pipe the mail to
55 this sendmail-like app. All MTAs can do that and they usually explain
56 how to at length in their docs
59 Alan McKinnon
60 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com