From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Simple SMTP to cmd-line MTA relay?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 20:03:49
1 On 2018-01-19, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 19/01/2018 21:43, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
3 >> On 2018-01-19 18:49, Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>> Just like the others writing in this thread, I am wondering why you
6 >>>> need 2 pieces here. Why won't e.g. exim do both sides of this for
7 >>>> you? It certainly has all the functionality.
8 >>>
9 >>> I don't see how you can say that when you don't know the method that
10 >>> my command-line MTA uses to transfer mail on down the path towards
11 >>> delivery.
12 >>
13 >> I can say it because I have some experience with exim, and I know it can
14 >> do pretty much anything. If its configuration language isn't Turing
15 >> complete, it is quite damn close to it. And the same can be said of
16 >> sendmail, though I know much less about it know.
17 >
18 > I'm also wondering why you need 2 bits. Earlier in the thread you
19 > mentioned that you send perhaps a few messages a week and never more
20 > than one connection at a time.
21 >
22 > Why do you need anything more complex than ssmtp?
23
24 I'm not just _sending_ mail. I'm relaying mail that's being sent by
25 another host. I need an SMTP server that supports AUTH and SSL.
26
27 > where are the messages coming from? localhost? the lan? somewhere
28 > on the internet?
29
30 SMTP clients (on the Internet). I thought that was sort of implied by
31 the requirement for an SMTP server (with AUTH and SSL).
32
33 > Grant, you should explain your requirements in detail.
34
35 I thought I did.
36
37 My requirement is to provide an SMTP server (with AUTH and SSL) that
38 accepts mail and relays it by invoking a command-line utility that has
39 the same usage as /usr/bin/sendmail.
42 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'm a nuclear
43 at submarine under the
44 gmail.com polar ice cap and I need
45 a Kleenex!