From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Simple SMTP to cmd-line MTA relay?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 19:54:34
1 On 19/01/2018 21:43, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2018-01-19 18:49, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Just like the others writing in this thread, I am wondering why you
5 >>> need 2 pieces here. Why won't e.g. exim do both sides of this for
6 >>> you? It certainly has all the functionality.
7 >>
8 >> I don't see how you can say that when you don't know the method that
9 >> my command-line MTA uses to transfer mail on down the path towards
10 >> delivery.
11 >
12 > I can say it because I have some experience with exim, and I know it can
13 > do pretty much anything. If its configuration language isn't Turing
14 > complete, it is quite damn close to it. And the same can be said of
15 > sendmail, though I know much less about it know.
18 I'm also wondering why you need 2 bits. Earlier in the thread you
19 mentioned that you send perhaps a few messages a week and never more
20 than one connection at a time.
21
22 Why do you need anything more complex than ssmtp?
23 where are the messages coming from? localhost? the lan? somewhere on the
24 internet?
25
26 Grant, you should explain your requirements in detail, and not describe
27 what you currently have (broken, as you say). Otherwise I'm going to
28 give you boilerplate advice:
29
30 Use ssmtp, unless the mail isn't coming from localhost and you need
31 simple (use postfix); otherwise if your setup is tricky use exim.
34 Alan McKinnon
35 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com