From: Ryan Sims <rwsims@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: default stage3
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 22:14:11
1 > I installed gentoo on a dual Opteron box this weekend, I've always done
2 > stage1 installs, but this time decided to try the recommeded stage3 method.
3 > I understand the concept of doing an "emerge -e world" in order to get the
4 > optimization of a stage1 install, and I've done this ( one time ) on the
5 > install I just completed. Can sombody explain why it's necessary/desirable
6 > to do this *twice*?
7 >
8 > What real difference does the second execution really make?
11 As I understand it, the first time you recompile new toolchain with
12 your old toolchain, and then the 2nd time you're recompiling the
13 toolchain with the new toolchain, with the idea that the new toolchain
14 will compile/assemble/link/etc everything in a different way than the
15 old toolchain.
16
17 Please correct if I'm wrong.
20 Ryan W Sims