From: Bob Young <BYoung@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Re: default stage3
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:07:04
1 -----Original Message-----
2 From: Allan Gottlieb [mailto:gottlieb@×××.edu]
3 Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 12:16 PM
4 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: default stage3
6
7 At Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:13:14 +0100 "Hemmann, Volker Armin"
8 <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
9
10 > On Monday 21 November 2005 13:33, Steve B wrote:
11 >> WTF.. I'm getting ready to rebuild my gentoo box. I have always did a
12 stage
13 >> 1 install. i was under the impression that if u used a stage 3 u couldn't
14 >> muck with your CFLAGS or what not.
15
16 3. If you fiddle with USE flags, /etc/package.* files, etc, you can
17 get the effect of a customized stage1 install by recompiling
18 everything twice. I suspect simply
19 emerge -e world; emerge -e world
20
21 3A. Only a few items really need to be compiled the first time.
22
23 3B. There are scripts in the forums to do this "automatically".
26 I installed gentoo on a dual Opteron box this weekend, I've always done
27 stage1 installs, but this time decided to try the recommeded stage3 method.
28 I understand the concept of doing an "emerge -e world" in order to get the
29 optimization of a stage1 install, and I've done this ( one time ) on the
30 install I just completed. Can sombody explain why it's necessary/desirable
31 to do this *twice*?
32
33 What real difference does the second execution really make?
34
35 Thanks,
36 Bob Young
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list