From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: default stage3
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 20:28:14
1 At Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:13:14 +0100 "Hemmann, Volker Armin" <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > On Monday 21 November 2005 13:33, Steve B wrote:
4 >> WTF.. I'm getting ready to rebuild my gentoo box. I have always did a stage
5 >> 1 install. i was under the impression that if u used a stage 3 u couldn't
6 >> muck with your CFLAGS or what not.
7
8 We have a lot in common in this regard.
9
10 I also always had done stage1 installs.
11 I also misremembered that CFLAGS couldn't be changed if using stage3.
12 I also posted this mis-remembrance to the present list.
13
14 As was very politely explained to me:
15
16 1. It was CHOST, not CFLAGS.
17
18 2. You can (at least now, not sure about previously) actually change
19 CHOST, but must run a utility afterward.
20
21 3. If you fiddle with USE flags, /etc/package.* files, etc, you can
22 get the effect of a customized stage1 install by recompiling
23 everything twice. I suspect simply
24 emerge -e world; emerge -e world
25
26 3A. Only a few items really need to be compiled the first time.
27
28 3B. There are scripts in the forums to do this "automatically".
29
30 Thus, I conclude that, unless you are changing bootstrap.sh (which I
31 never did), you really can get the effect of a stage1 starting with
32 stage3.
33
34 I would not use the term "faster" to describe the stage3 equivalent of
35 stage1, especially if you are lazy and do the double emerge -e world.
36 Instead, I would say that there are two advantages to the user
37
38 1. You can use your machine for reading/sending mail, browsing the
39 web, etc while all the compilation is proceeding. So the machine
40 is usable sooner, even if the procedure is not faster.
41
42 2. You avoid the chance to make the kind of error I did in changed
43 USE flags too aggressively, *too early* in the process.
44
45 Perhaps more important is that there is one big advantage to the
46 developers and seasoned gentoo experts on this list.
47
48 1. Fewer installation errors due to faulty understanding of a stage1
49 process results in fewer requests for help, requests that likely
50 to the expert seem to all be essentially the same, and do not lead
51 to improvement of the stage1 process.
52
53 A converted supported of stage3 --> stage1-equivalent installs,
54 allan
55 --
56 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list