From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] leap second
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 12:04:04
1 051225 Ian Hastie wrote:
2 > 24 Dec 2005 Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca> wrote:
3 >> There will be a leap second between 051231 235959 & 060101 000000 .
4 >> Does anyone know how the time servers used by NTP handle this ?
5 >> Is it just left to the local machine to realise it's 1 sec fast
6 >> & adjust over a few hours or does something else alert it to correct
7 >> things ? If the former, it could create problems for those running
8 >> experiments; if the latter, does anyone know how it is done ?
9 >> The last leap second was 1998/9 ,
10 > The newer NTP standard is now RFC1305, http://rfc.net/rfc1305.html.
11
12 The details are in Appx E : it seems a warning bit is set manually
13 by the operator of the primary time server during the previous day
14 & one supposes -- hopes (smile) -- that local NTP clients receive it
15 & understand what it all means, thereby resetting the local clock.
16
17 Perhaps we should all watch our Gkrellms as 2006 flips into view ...
21 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
22 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
23 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list