From: Ian Hastie <ianh@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] leap second
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 17:44:40
1 On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 06:59:20 -0500
2 Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca> wrote:
3
4 > The details are in Appx E : it seems a warning bit is set manually
5 > by the operator of the primary time server during the previous day
6
7 Seems like I should have looked more carefully.
8
9 > & one supposes -- hopes (smile) -- that local NTP clients receive it
10 > & understand what it all means, thereby resetting the local clock.
11
12 That's looks like the way it works. Certainly more accurate then
13 waiting for the new time to cascade through the layers.
14
15 > Perhaps we should all watch our Gkrellms as 2006 flips into view ...
16
17 What else would we all be doing then?! *8) Then again you're in Canada
18 and the leap second is being added at 23:59:59 UTC. That means in your
19 local time it'll be hours before the end of the year.
20
21 Of course there's another site I should have mentioned too. All the
22 information on NTP you could ever want at http://www.ntp.org/.
25 Ian.
26
27 EOM