From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing gentoo with a systemd profile
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 01:02:22
1 On Sat, Jul 18 2015, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 8:00 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I am installing gentoo on a new laptop. I am a gnome, hence systemd,
6 >> user. I also use lvm (I have / and /usr combined on a non-lvm partition).
7 >>
8 >> At the point where you choose a profile
9 >> (//
10 > wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation#Choosing_the_right_profile
11 > )
12 >> I selected
13 >> [5] default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome/systemd *
14 >>
15 >> But now I get merge conflicts since I have sys-fs/udev installed.
16 >> I can't depclean udev.
17 >>
18 >> Should I have just used the default/linux/amd64/13.0 profile
19 >> and switched later after the installation is complete.
20 >>
21 >> Fortunately, I don't need to used the new machine immediately so I don't
22 >> mind starting the installation over from the beginning
23 >>
24 >> In a similar vein, my systems have PORTDIR=/var/portage. Am I correct
25 >> in now believing that it is better to do the install with the default
26 >> PORTDIR=/usr/portage and then switching after the dust settles
27 >
28 > What I usually do is:
29 >
30 > 1. Extract the stage 3 tarball
31 > 2. Sync the portage tree
32 > 3. Switch to the systemd profile
33 > 4. emerge -uDNvp world (this usually solves the systemd/udev conflicts)
34 > 5. emerge --depclean
35 > 6. Switch to the GNOME/systemd profile
36 > 7. Emerge gnome-base/gnome
37 >
38 > In my experience, if you switch directly to the GNOME/systemd profile, you
39 > get many conflicts.
40
41 I certainly did. I will try your indirect root to gnome/systemd.
42 If it works (and given the source I strongly suspect it will),
43 I will try to get it included in the systemd wiki.
44
45 > Regards.
46 > --
47 > Canek Peláez Valdés